Thursday, January 27, 2011

Movies and Fat

Tuesday night we tried to rent The A-Team from Redbox and were successful, but it didn't work past the first 15 minutes or so. Ugh. You get all set to watch a movie, finished a nice meal, had beverages, then it starts and then it just won't work. Very, very frustrating. I'm sure I'll get refunded the $1, but that's not the point. We even tried to run it in two DVD players, but there was an obvious crack on the edge of the disk so it wasn't going to work in anything.

Tonight we rented RED, a pretty good action movie. Highly recommend it if you like action.

Tuesday I started an interesting little diet change. It came from Tim Ferriss, the author of The Four Hour Work Week and most recently, The Four Hour Body. In the book, Ferriss apparently covers many topics, I haven't read it, but did see his visit on Dr. Oz while I was working out. The upshot is that you can burn more fat by doing some simple things. One of them is to have a breakfast within 30 minutes of getting up and making it have 30 grams of protein. That's the equivalent of 5 eggs. It's also two eggs, a half a cup of cheese and some sausage. Pretty filling. But the key is what your body does with the protein, or how it processes it, versus non proteins. Another segment talks about taking cold baths and showers and stuff that I think is a little crazy. The third thing they talk about in the videos (linked under Dr. Oz above), is that after you have a big meal, within an hour but not necessarily right away, do 1 to 2 minutes of squats. The science is that it engages your muscles which then take energy from the blood stream instead of it all going to the fat cells for storage. Interesting. We'll see how it works. It's a long term change that I'm willing to try.

5 comments:

terri said...

It all seems to make sense in a weird way. Even the cold showers and baths. They'd make you shiver, so you'd burn calories just by shivering. I heard about a study today where they determined that having central heating in your house can contribute to weight gain... why? Because if you're all cozy and warm, you're not shivering and therefore not burning calories.

I like the idea of a protein-heavy breakfast. That's right up my alley. But having to eat within 30 minutes of waking might be a challenge.

Eric H. said...

"Another segment talks about taking cold baths and showers and stuff that I think is a little crazy."

I'd rather be fat.

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

Tim reports two alternatives that are more comfortable than cold showers: drinking cold water (or icewater) and applying an icepack in the evening.

Most of the diets in Four Hour body aren't that great for long term health, but they do move mostly in the correct direction from the standard American diet.

el supremo de nm said...

I agree with B2B, I question whether these regimens are sustainable over the long run.

alexis said...

agree with ESDNM - good for short term but I am not sure I'd be able to make it a change for life.