Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Doritos vs. Alcohol

I can hear you through the computer: where is Sutton going with THIS topic. Well, it hit me yesterday while I sat in the kitchen getting ready to eat my dinner of yogurt and granola (in an effort to lose weight). Though the planned meal was going to be sufficient, probably, I ALWAYS snack on something while preparing my food or deciding what to eat. For that purpose I have dried apricots and dried bananas available, but sometimes I hit the cheese and crackers and sometimes, just sometimes, I go after Doritos. Do I buy Doritos? Only when there's a Bears game. Love them or hate them, they are a great chip for tailgating. But the entire bag is rarely finished (though it usually comes close). After Sunday, I had about an eighth of a bag of chips left. And I ate them. All.

It got me to thinking: here this bag has been in my house for two days and I couldn't stop myself from eating them. Meanwhile I've had beer in my refrigerator every day for years and I could go a month without drinking one of them. Good beer too: Goose Island and Chimay. So which is more addicting? Clearly it's Doritos. And Doritos are much, much worse for you! Are there any Doritos anonymous groups out there? Lumping them in with people who just overeat in general seems to belittle Doritos. Sure driving after overindulging on Doritos isn't much of a problem and your liver isn't impacted by Doritos like it is with alcohol, but Doritos can make you fat and clog your arteries. They'll kill you just the same!! Sadly, I can't eliminate either entirely from my life.

7 comments:

terri said...

Are they the nacho cheese kind? Because I'd have to agree, those are impossible to stop eating once you start.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Cool Ranch Terri. Those are my favorites. Nacho cheese is good too though.

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

"dinner of yogurt and granola (in an effort to lose weight)"? ... Sounds like you haven't read _Bursting with Energy_ yet. It also sounds like you should read _The Four Hour Body_ because you'd really appreciate a method that shows results quickly (and is healthier than other diets, because, like _Bursting with Energy_, it focuses on gaining muscle as the key to maintaining your desired weight.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I'm half way through the Bursting book. There seem to be some good things in there, but there's a lot of hype too. Reducing caloric intake is a proven weight loss method and granola and yogurt is a pretty low calorie, healthy meal.

Funny that you mention The Four Hour Body! Check out tonight's entry!

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

The only thing proven about reducing caloric intake is that it produces short term weight loss. Followup studies show that just about everyone eventually regains the weight. Why? Because eating less than your base metabolic requirement tells your body it has to learn to survive with less and it finds a number of ways to do this, including shedding muscle. Bad for the general population, and especially bad for athletes.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It works for the Ethiopians!

alexis said...

chips in general are not allowed in the house for that reason by us. We only buy them when we feel comfortable in the knowledge that we are going to scarf the whole thing in some shamefully short period of time.