Thursday, June 30, 2011

How women are turning our country lazy...or why I don't like Europe

Ok, first and foremost, I am not picking out any individuals in this post nor do I plan on upsetting anyone in particular. It may happen just because of the nature of the post, but not something I'm planning on.

So while I was doing something yesterday, not sure what, I started thinking of how many guys I've seen lately that are dressed casually and whom it appears that are working from home. Now I work from home, but I'm an exception in some regards, you'll see what I mean (I hope). There is nothing wrong with working from home, but no one will convince me that you can ever be as productive at home as you are in an office. Granted there are commuting issues and some office distractions, but working from home has many more, though there is no commute.

So what's my issue? Well, I'm thinking guys in our country are becoming more like Europeans...lazy and whiny. Europeans, at least the French, rioted when the work week was extended from 35 to 37 hours. Then they rioted again when the retirement age went from 60 to 62. Poor babies. It's pretty universally accepted that Europeans don't have as good a work ethic as Americans. Yeah, yeah, I can hear you saying "They just have a better work/life balance!" well that's B.S. They don't work as much because it's part of their culture not to have as strong a work ethic. Fine, I really don't have a problem with that actually, unless I have to do work with them and then it's painful.

But my point is that it seems men in our country are working less and less and that our work ethic has dissipated. No not because of the recession, this has been going on for the last 20 years during boom times as well as bust. So why is this happening? Women. Yep, women. "C'mon Joe how can you blame women for a drop in productivity in guys?" Well, my thinking goes like this, women over the last 50 years have made tremendous strides into and up through the workforce. Undeniable point. While they made strides, corporations realized the need for maternity leave where none existed before (or little existed) and it has in fact became law. Then the computer happened along and corporations realized that women could raise their kids AND work from home at least part-time and corporations don't have to go through the expense of hiring a replacement. But then guys demanded "equal rights" as well, though more subtly and not through any legal channels because we're above that (ok actually it's because we're running the corporations mostly still and making the laws mostly still so it's just accepted as opposed to needing a law change). Anyway, now you have more and more men working from home because companies can't discriminate against men as they allow women to work from home.

And so now we're becoming more and more European in our work ethic and it's all women's fault. We'd still be number one in the world if not for your equal rights and workplace evolution!! At least that's the thought that tore through my head yesterday.

3 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

Uhhh - Just a tad simplistic if you ask me. First, I don't think that our "work ethic" vis a vis productivity is a proven point. I'll let Alexis pound you up on that one since she loves posting all those kinds of statistics.

I think the issue is one of our whole society becoming entitlement addicted. If you grew up starting in the 50's you never experienced any real hard times and had more wealth per capita than any other nation. It's hard for any culture to maintain the hard work values that got them success when that occurs. You see it in sports teams all the time.

alexis said...

Wow Joe. Did you forget something you read only a week ago? AKA:

http://alexisinamsterdam.blogspot.com/2011/06/live-to-work-work-to-live.html

I'm not going to even bother wasting time with the mountains of research and statistics that disprove this ridiculous theory. I'm don't want to read this blog anymore. Women? Really? It's shockingly below anything I'd expect from you. Were you tired?

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

Are you turning into Scott Adams (Dilbert)?