Sunday, February 07, 2010

All football all the time

Unless you live under a rock or in Europe, you knew that this weekend was the Super Bowl. The Colts played the Saints in a game that should have had little meaning for me. However, I was in two fantasy leagues for just the playoffs, so there was money on the line. Plus I bought squares in my softball team's fundraiser so there was more money on the line. Then there's the home town cheering as Sean Payton is from Naperville and I met him in the locker room at the high school when we were there for baseball. He was two years older than me so we were both in the baseball program at Naperville Central for two years. And finally, Mr. Manning defeated my Chicago Bears just three short years ago in the Super Bowl. I have not forgotten. In fact, I still have the game Tivo'd and watched it today while mentally preparing to watch the big game.

We had a nice fund raiser at Messner's bar on Southport and Addison. We charged $30 a head for food and drinks, all you can handle of both. The bartender was really nice and allowed LL and me to have Goose Island 312 instead of the regular, Bud, Bud Light and Miller products. Blech. Neither of us wanted to go hard liquor because, well, we're not 25 anymore. Actually LL could have but she has an early morning call tomorrow....yet another reason to move Super Bowl Sunday to Saturday. Like ratings are going to suffer. Though a client of mine who showed up to support the team, noted that the hosting city would lose out on another night of revenue from hotels and such. Good point. Still, I'd make the change. Plus I'd also rotate the Super Bowl to EVERY team's field over a thirty year rotation. I'd bypass Florida, California and New Orleans to start as they already have had it. Detroit hosted too, so they get left out to start.

Finally, the Bears promoted their defensive line coach to Defensive Coordinator as I predicted earlier this week. Now their Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Coordinator are the two guys who guided the Lions to an 0-16 season. Nice. Things look just freakin' awesome for the Bears.

1 comment:

alexis said...

dude, Europe was also aware of the Super Bowl! It was even announced on the news this morning.