Sunday, October 19, 2008

Softball Saturday??

Had a busy today.....with my softball mates. Our coach, Blind Mender (he really is partially blind) is leaving town for Tempe AZ. So this morning, his mother (and landlord) made a fantastic brunch for the team. Mender provided the vodka and fruit juice. Here are some pictures from the event:



A very festive dining table. We had biscuits and gravy, egg caserole, scrambled eggs, various pasteries....and I'm forgetting some stuff I'm sure. Good eats though!!










Two Dimes and half-Dime (a nickel??) , guess that makes them a quarter.














The drinking was out in the garage. I think Blind Mender lives out there.










Benny Baseball....24 hours before our tailgate for the Bears!!!










This evening we had a party for him at Mad River bar. It was anything you wanted to drink for $30 from 9-12. It reminded me of why I still play softball at 42. While I enjoy the many competitive aspects of softball, it's really the camaraderie that keeps me coming back. Today, most of the team was at one of the two events and many were at both. It was great fun from talking sports, be it the MLB playoffs or the Bears, to dancing (ok, I didn't, but I could have) to being berated by one younger teammate for wearing an outdated shirt (in my defense, I was not on the prowl tonight so my "date shirts" were left at home).

Plus several of us made shirts with sayings from Blind Mender and wore them to the bar this evening. They included: "Time ump!", "Hey, what does this say?" (that's usually accompanied by his cell phone with a text message on it.), "Don't shoot." (several of us have little guns that shoot plastic bb's), "Have you met my friend......." (which he says to women he's trying to pawn off on someone), "I love (a heart) single moms." (self explanatory). We wore the shirts and then gave them to Blind Mender to remember us. Good fun.

It was a good time. I had to leave a little early to get home so I can get up in the morning for leaving for tailgating at 8:30!!

1 comment:

Desiree said...

You've hit the nail on the head. No doubt I enjoy softball and love the game, but the fact that I get to play it with such awesome people makes me want to go out on the field whenever I can. Maybe I'm biased, but I just don't have as much fun playing other team sports. This game just lends itself to a lot of dugout bullshitting and beers after. You can't beat that.