Thursday, October 23, 2008

Collapsing Arch

Though I keep a blog and talk to a bunch of folks on a daily basis, I try not to complain too much about health issues for fear of being the "boy who cried wolf". Earlier this year I had near spells of vertigo and I wrote about it because that's pretty serious stuff. If you're at home in front of the tv, no biggee, but if you're driving and you get a spell of vertigo....game over.

I guess I also wrote about my jaw being sore and in need of being "stretched out". I still have that problem by the way and this morning it was the first thing I was aware of when I woke up. In response to that ailment and a stiff neck, I decided to head back to my chiropractor whom I last had seen almost two years ago exactly. If something in my neck was pinching a nerve or something and it was impacting my jaw, I wanted the problem solved.

Well, it has helped, but my three sessions so far haven't solved the neck or jaw issue. Today however, I discussed a new ailment with my chiropractor which is really an old issue: severe pain on the TOP of my left foot. It's odd, it's not in the toes or ankle or heel or anywhere normal. It's on the top of my foot, only my left, in just one spot.

So anyway, the doc scans my feet by having me stand on this machine that looks like a photocopy machine but is only about four inches thick. Then he shows me the pressure points of where the weight is coming down through my feet. Normally it should be the balls and heels of your feet. For my left foot, it was basically the entire surface of the foot. Ugh. My arch has collapsed basically and I need an arch support. He's pretty sure that will solve my problem, which as of late, has caused me to not even be able to support my weight upon standing up. Instead of a $100 support, I'm getting a pair of Brooks tennis shoes with the support in them already. We'll see how they work when I get them next week sometime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - mid 40's - traditional time of body falling apart - even if not trying to compete with 20 year olds.

Thing about your long-term. You've already accomplished so much.

alexis said...

how can you prevent the 40 yr old body break down??

Anonymous said...

Die at 30