Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nodding off.

The story of the day HAS to be this one. It'll make you think twice about sleeping on public transportation....be it a plane, bus or train. Now do you see how funny the title is??

A further commentary on why Democrats should vote Republican in this election. Mind you, I'm pretty middle of the road. I really don't like either extreme, but I tend to side on the fiscal conservative side of things with our elected officials. Okay, so if you remember Jimmy Carter taking office in 1977 after a terrible Republican administration. Still, nothing short of Watergate was going to prevent Nixon from winning again, at least that's my belief. Anyway, the point is, Carter inherited a shitty economy and a bad international problems which led to the hostages in Iran. His fiscal policies led to the highest interest rates in memory and a nasty, nasty recession. On the international front, his talk first, second and third strategy led to hostages being taken in Iran and a basically third world country was able to stand us down. Any of this sound familiar?

What happened next? People were sooo disenfranchised with the Democratic party, thinking wrongly that they caused all of these problems, that you had 12 years of Republicans as a knee jerk reaction. I'm not saying it's definitely going to repeat this way, but I could easily see the scenario playing out again. Bush has screwed our economy by trying to bail everyone out and refusing to ignore his oil buddies and build more refineries as opposed to allowing them to close down. And the war in Iraq....good Lord. What a blunder. Don't give me the old "we haven't been attacked since 9/11". No we haven't, not here at least. We conveniently moved 3,000 our children over to Iraq so they could be killed by terrorist/oppressed people revolting against a threat (us) bigger than their own maniacal regime that we removed. So don't tell me we haven't been attacked. We were successfully attacked just about every day for five years before anything was even remotely brought under control. And don't tell me "it's a war so that's different". A dead kid is a dead kid.

Sorry about that rant. The point is, you don't want a Democrat trying to clean up a mess of this magnitude, because I don't believe it can be done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe:

I really appreciate your comment on 'being attacked' everyday. I think it is very well observed.

alexis said...

that is a good point. I am not sure it matters too much who I vote for in IL tho ;)

Anonymous said...

I like this post..!! RANT AWAY my friend.