Monday, July 07, 2008

It pays to evaluate insurance

Had to tie up some loose ends the other day and one of them was the renewal of my condo insurance policy. With all the work I've had done on the innards of the place, I figured I was probably under insured as to the replacement value in case of fire or whatever. Upon reviewing the policy, I was only insured for about $65,000!! Yowza! Not sure how I picked that number originally, but it's way low. This is for putting the walls back up, the floors, kitchen granite, all that stuff.

So I called Chubb Insurance (no jokes please, they are huge in the insurance market....again, no jokes about being huge) and went over my desire to increase my protection. The guy was very friendly and said he'd call me back after an analysis. Turns out he could raise my replacement value to $230,000 (much closer to reality based on square footage) and because I went over the threshold of $200,000, I got a preferred rate on each $1,000 unit. So for nearly quadrupling my insurance protection, it actually costs me $100 less a year in premiums. Not exactly the answer I was expecting, but awesome for me!!!

4 comments:

Michael said...

Group health insurance plan is a right option for an employer as well as an employee. Very few people are aware about the Florida group insurance plan and its benefit. This plan can be taken by any small or big organization, under which there all employees are provided the protection. A small organization of two people can also qualify for a group health plan. Florida Group health insurance can be attained without much paper work and it also takes your financial burden compare to individual health insurance plan.
http://www.planrover.com/

stef said...

Wow that is awesome! And it attracted a spam commenter!

Anonymous said...

SPAM...BOO!

Anonymous said...

I wonder why there is a preferred rate for and increased rate of coverage.