Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The Draft

So tonight we had our fantasy football draft. This year there were only 10 teams instead of the normal 12, so the talent available was better. Plus, I had the first overall pick, so the talent pool should be better when I'm picking. And guess what? The talent pool WAS better. Picking was easier and that was reflected in the time it took people to draft. Rarely did anyone come close to the two minutes allotted per pick. Combine the football with drinking and food, and it was a good time.

This afternoon I was at my Starbucks and had a panic moment. Someone's dog, looked like a puppy, got out of their harness while their owner was inside Starbucks getting coffee. Often people just tie up their pooch while they go inside. Unfortunately, the harness didn't fit well enough and he got loose. Immediately three or four people on the outdoor patio jumped up to corral the dog and the owner bolted from the store. I realized what was happening about 15 seconds later and I raced outside to help along with the barista who was brewing my coffee (partial decaf and it was after 3 so they have to brew it special). When I got outside, the pooch was surrounded and snagged in short order. Lots of people rushed to help and there was no injuries to report.

What ticked me off was that these two 20-something girls were sitting right by the door and they didn't even MOVE. How self-absorbed can you be when a puppy is running loose and you don't even move to help? It ticked me off. If something would have happened to the dog, they would have been read the riot act by yours truly and it would NOT have ended well.

2 comments:

terri said...

More and more people are adopting the "what's in it for me" attitude. I hate it.

el supremo de nm said...

Maybe they don't like dogs?