Monday, September 27, 2010

Recuperating

Tournament results update: the two teams to which we lost on Thursday and Friday ended up finishing 5th and tied for 17th out of 208 teams. It was a bad draw and we definitely would have had a better weekend if we spent more time on the softball field and less time at the hotel pool, where we annoyed all of the other guests by throwing a football around. It was fun, but I'm sure the other guests weren't thrilled with us. They had another pool they could have gone to though, so I didn't feel too bad for them.

Yesterday was a long day of travel or at least it felt like it. Most of the guys on the team had the same flight out of Orlando at 7:30 p.m. which was delayed until 8:20. Fortunately, the plane landed only 15 minutes later than originally scheduled.

After getting late checkout for 1:00, we all hit Buffalo Wild Wings to watch some football games on the many, many televisions. It was kind of fun to be there and watch all of these games while not really invested in any one game in particular (Bears play tonight!). You'd be watching one game and then hear a big cheer from people somewhere else in the room and you'd swing around and try to see what happened on their game. Then another cheer elsewhere and so you'd switch focus again. Kind of fun! Unfortunately we had the slowest, most inattentive waiter I think I've ever had (Josh is his name by the way, just off of Hwy 4 on 535). Just awful. My bill came to $14.90 and I left him $15 and didn't feel bad about it at all.

Then it was off to the airport where we learned of the delay, so we headed to the nearest bar for more football. The rest of the trip was uneventful, especially since LL was nice enough to come get me at the airport.

The day made me think that hanging around all day might not be the best idea when traveling. Maybe I should focus on leaving earlier and getting home instead of checking out and then not really being able to do much for 6 hours.

4 comments:

Eric H. said...

" Then another cheer elsewhere and so you'd switch focus again. Kind of fun!"

If you haven't watched the NFL RedZone channel, it's like this. And the best part: zero commericials

el supremo de nm said...

Yes, the general rule of travel is the later in the day, the greater the chance of delay. I'm all for getting out of Dodge as soon as possible.

alexis said...

I admit I adhere to ESDNM's rule as well - I am no fan of hanging out at airports.

terri said...

You had a lazy, fun day. Don't feel guilty about it!