Monday, September 06, 2010

Big Weekend

First and foremost, congratulations to Alexis in Amsterdam who got married this weekend! Because of my extensive comments on her blog, I decided to start writing my own. It's morphed a bit, but is still fairly honest to my original thoughts.

Saturday night, LL and I went to Ravinia with my buddy JD and his wife. They live within walking distance of the large, outdoor concert venue, so we just parked at their house and hoofed it over. Unfortunately for us, Train (the band we went to see) must be super popular as the place was sold out! In fact, when we got there around 6:15 or so, there was NO WHERE to sit! The only place available was way, way, way in the back where the signs actually say audibly impaired....or something like that. Ugh. Well, we set up camp while JD went to find a better place. And....success! He didn't find a place, but he found someone he knew who got there at....get this....3:30 when they opened the place up. They walled off a big spot for 15 people or so where they could even see the stage and screens and invited us over. Nice!! Train was really good, but they didn't come on until 8:30 so I can't imagine getting there at 4 just to get a spot on the lawn. Crazy.

Ravinia has some regular stadium seating and then has a huge lawn area. You can bring in pretty much anything from chairs and tikki torches to tables, wine and food. It can be a lot of fun when it's not crazy crowded, but I liken it to the concert version of Wrigley Field: the concert (or baseball game) is going on, but there's a lot of other activity and discussions going on that don't involve the main event.

Hope you had a great weekend!!!

2 comments:

alexis said...

thanks very much for the good wishes! It was a GREAT party. Only sad that I am now back at work!

terri said...

Wow, that sounds like SO much fun! I'm not surprised there was such a huge crowd. I would love to see Train!