Sunday, March 07, 2010

Wisconsin Weekend

LL and I headed up to Wisconsin, just north of Madison, for a nice, albeit short, weekend at the second home of Ricardo and wife. While there, we went to a fish fry with my good friends Portage Terry and Sharon and their daughters. Good fun. The restaurant? Hooker's on the River.
Suggestive name, but AWESOME place to go. You can cook your own steak or take part in the all you can eat fish fry, which gives you your choice of cod, walleye, blue gill or frog legs. Very, very tasty.





















Here are some pictures I took with my phone of our walk through a state park in the area. The rocky first picture has a piece of wood with a chunk of snow on it that is just laying there unaltered by the waterfall going on around it. We had a really nice weekend and stay up wayyyy to late drinking wine by a very warm fire. Good fun was had by all.

























Last week, while shopping at Yorktown Mall in the burbs, I decided to grab something to eat. Faced with all sorts of bad alternatives, I thought I'd go with Arby's. Their food seems not too gross or offensive at least. Here's a picture of what was on the tray. One penny off coupons for meals. I know it's a marketing ploy, but I think it's a bad one.

Finally, I looked up online what was the nutritional content of my food. Some of you are going to say, "Joe, duh. Of course it's bad." But I didn't think it was this bad. As you know, I'm watching my sodium intake and so all I had was a medium beef and cheddar. BAM!!! 1640 mgs of sodium. The RDA is 2400 mgs. Unbelievable. And I thought I was doing something good!! This is why, in part, that we're getting fatter and less healthy. Even a reasonably intelligent person doesn't have a chance without the information. Putting it on the internet is a start, but let's have it posted AT THE RESTAURANT. Then we can make intelligent decisions before we consume. That's the key.

1 comment:

terri said...

Sounds like a great restaurant!

Your pictures are beautiful. Glad you had a fun weekend.