Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Shrimping

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go to the grocery store and buy something to cook for dinner. As I've stated before, I really don't have much food per se in my house. When I want to cook something, it's off to one of three very close by stores to get what I need. So yesterday I opted for some shrimp, frozen of course because I actually saw one store fill their bin of thawed shrimp with shrimp from a frozen shrimp bag that I could buy just a few feet away so it really just doesn't matter, and thought I'd try to make shrimp scampi.

First of all, there are bags of pre-made scampi you can buy, but the sodium content is higher than I would like (yes, I'm trying to cut back on sodium) so I thought I could just make it. And guess what? I did!! After I got home, I looked up recipes online and then made another quick trip to pick up a few more items. Yes, it would have been smarter to actually figure out what I wanted to cook first, but it's tough for me to operate that way.

So the dinner menu ended up being 9-grain bread slices (really, really awesome!), a salad with low sodium high taste dressing, acorn squash with a brown sugar sauce (no butter!) and shrimp in a sauce of butter, white wine, lemon pepper and garlic over linguine. Very tasty, though in the end I think it ended up being too much food. I'm going to have to start cutting back and get ready for softball.

3 comments:

terri said...

Sounds delicious! And I tend to operate the same way. I rarely go to the grocery store with a list. I go and buy the staples, pick up a few extras, and find inspiration at the store. Then I go home and find a recipe and buy all the extra stuff I need later.

alexis said...

what a pleasure to cook such a nice meal! Does sound like there were probably leftovers...

el supremo de nm said...

Your continual descent into the maw of foodie-dom is now beyond reversal.