Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Skipping to Sunday

Going out of sequence for a day as I have already uploaded the pictures from Sunday's trip to Key West. Tomorrow I'll show you the wedding pics and some others which I took with my camera as opposed to these pics from my phone.

We were staying on Duck Key, which is in the middle of the Keys and there isn't anything else on the key except for the resort. As such, they decided they could charge any price they wanted for basic food products, like $3 for what amounts to about 6 ounces of coffee. Unbelievable.





So we heard about this place 10 miles away in the city of Marathon. If you are down there, you HAVE to go here. It' s only open until 2 p.m., so get there early. Wonderful food.













I opted for a half order of biscuits and sausage gravy and a banana pancake, all made from scratch. Very tasty and only like $6 or $8.











Here's a picture of the counter and grill area. Not very big! There's the chef in pink!






















Here's a nice shot of the diner. You can see the back wall of the place. See, I wasn't kidding about it being small! Well worth the trip though.














Here's DJF and me sitting at the counter. I don't like to sit with my back to the door, but there didn't seem to be a risk in the Keys.














After a nice breakfast/lunch, we headed to Key West. It was about an hour and a half to two hour drive. Nice scenery on the way though.


After finding parking, which is not easy btw. We started on the Atlantic coast side here at the sourthern most point in the continental US. It's quite the photo-op and there was a line to get a pic. Yeah, nuts, I know.















When in Key West, you pretty much can't avoid Duval Street. At one end is the above pic and the Atlantic Ocean. On the other end is the Gulf. In between are lots of bars, galleries, some strip clubs, Starbucks, restaurants, hotels, pretty much everything!















One of our first stops was here: Sloppy Joe's. No particular reason other than it looked like fun.















Here's Paula and the drink menu. Apparently there's a back room with other, higher end beers. Paula was VERY friendly. I didn't take a picture of Bob, who used to live in Rogers Park and is a big Cub fan.















We came across this cruise ship, the Disney Magic. Stef, is that the one you were on??




















Look at the rack on this mannequin!!! Holy crap!! That dress isn't going to look the same on a whole lot of women.













DJF thought I probably shouldn't post this picture, but I thought it was just damn funny. The shirts down there are hysterical too. I should have made note of some of them, but didn't. My bad. Read these thongs though. Very funny.














Things I'm grateful for:
#85 65 degree days in February!! No more snow! No more snow!
#86 Small restaurants that serve great food.
#87 Vicks Vapo-Rub. The stuff just clears my nasal passages when I have a cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! and behind the thongs, some bongs and on the other side rolling papers...a head shop right out in the open...wow

stef said...

Yes! We did go on the Disney Magic. Miss D was just asking to go back on it for her birthday. Sorry Kid!. DJF was right, you shouldn't have posted those thongs. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Just HOW friendly?

Add another stop on my biscuit and sausage gravy tour of the United States.