Sunday, July 01, 2012

Ribfest? Why yes!

Every Fourth of July, my home town (at least since I was 10) conducts an awesome Ribfest with not only ribs, but good music and fireworks.  In the past we've seen Huey Lewis, Joan Jett (pretty much anyone from the '80's) and others. This year, on Friday, Steve Miller Band was going to be playing and we thought that would be the trip we'd make to Ribfest.  This year though, they upped the prices based on the day and the music, so Friday night was $25 pp!!  That's insane! Last year it was $10, which I thought was a bit much for the right to pay too much money for not enough ribs (a half slab was running like $18 or something). For those of you who don't know, you can get a rack of ribs for $12-$15 depending on the weight. So, instead of paying $50 just to get in on Friday, I went out and bought ribs and cooked them for us for Friday night. As usual, I made two full racks so we had plenty of leftovers for the weekend. They weren't my best effort, LL liked them, but they were decent. Between Saturday and Tuesday you could get into Ribfest for $10-$20 depending on the day, but with the heat, we felt it better just to stay home in the a/c and eat the ribs I made....at a table....with our beverage of choice....and with sweet potatoes. We'll catch Steve Miller and "fly like an eagle" another time.


Saturday morning, the start of another weekend without softball, I made crepes again since I was able to buy some good looking strawberries to go with the blueberries, blackberries and Nutella we already had on hand.  Good eating!! 


Saturday afternoon was a gym day for me as I had a day of rest from my physical therapy and no softball to play on Sunday.  Unfortunately I also had a time crunch with a planned trip to Joliet with LL to hook up with her niece and nephew (and their parents).  So I did the best I could with the time I had: I ran two miles in about 20 minutes and then used the ten minutes or so that I would have used to run that third mile to go lift weights and do PT exercises. It wasn't ideal, but it was better than nothing!

Sunday I ran errands, which included a trip to Lowe's to return tile and drill bits. I tell ya, as bad as my experience was buying the stuff it was that GOOD returning it. They scanned all of my receipts (5 or 6 of them) and then everything I was returning and it matched them up and printed one return receipt (for about $200)! Very nice.

2 comments:

alexis said...

ah, shame your ribfest tradition has changed but now you're a pro-rib roaster yourself. Ribfest every weekend you want now Joe!

Bee said...

Bravo!!!!
I wondered when you would finally get tired of paying for something that was once free and still ought to be!