Friday, July 06, 2012

Sometimes, you need to take a step back and look at the forest

Things can always be worse. In general, I live a pretty privileged life and should count my blessings much more than complain about my woes. Yesterday for instance, I had some running around to do including a 9:30 physical therapy appointment and a 1:30 oil change appointment. Though I wanted to get some time at the gym in, I also have a 5:30 happy hour appointment with my buddy T-Rex Tim, whom I haven't seen since he had his second kid. The oil change takes 90 minutes, instead of 60 as promised, and then the weather went nuts dropping 25 degrees in about 3 minutes and the rains and wind swept through the area. So instead of going straight to the gym, I wanted to stop at home to get my umbrella first. In doing so, MLM informed me of a problem with the plumbing which required me stopping at Home Depot on the way to the gym. I also got an odd blocked phone call that I let go to voice mail.

Now it was about 3:30 and I was rushed if I was going to get a good workout in before happy hour. First to Home Depot though. Oh, I better check that message too. Oh no, I left my wallet at the oil change place. Ugh. Now I was really behind!

So again I cut down my run to 2 miles in just over 20 minutes and then lifted some weights before showering and heading home to change and then off to happy hour.

Seems hectic, and it was, but let's take a step back:
-I lost my wallet!! It fell out of my pocket in a room full of people and I got it back without anything missing.
-I was able to work out.
-The time pressure was self imposed to meet a social obligation.

All in all, that's not only not too bad, it's pretty damn good. Sometimes though, you just have to take a step back and look at the forest.

2 comments:

alexis said...

that is a good way to look at things. And you still got everything done!

terri said...

Great perspective and something I should remind myself to do. Take a step back and remember how good things are.

Again, I'm impressed with the amount of activity you're able to squeeze into your days!