Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sockeye Season!

Yes, it's that time of year! The salmon are running and Sockeye is available at your local grocery. It's not cheap, $13 a pound here, but it is delicious.  How do you prepare it?  Well, I would normally grill it on a wood plank, but seeing as it's hovering around 100 degrees here in Chicago today, I opted for broiling.  Here's the recipe I used, sort of. I didn't add salt and didn't have lemon zest, so I just used lemon pepper and maybe a little less brown sugar. It was delicious! Now, in the last minute or so (I cooked them for 7), the brown sugar that has melted off the salmon will start to burn, but don't freak out. It's not a problem and the brown sugar that doesn't run off and burn adds another texture and taste that's awesome.

The toilet is fixed and back running. Other than the ceiling in the basement having yet another hole in it, it wasn't a huge deal.  The problem was that the nuts holding down the toilet had become unscrewed somehow and the entire toilet shifted to one side by about 3/8ths of an inch and caused the wax seal to be compromised.  After MLM and I assessed the situation, I went out and bought a new wax ring and another set of bolts and had MLM install it.  Yes, I probably could have done it myself as it's not particularly difficult, but since he was already here I just had him do it. After he finished the install, I cut away more of the ceiling and sprayed it with bleach to kill off some mold. Maybe I didn't get it all, but I got a bunch of it.

2 comments:

Icarus said...

this post could really use some pictures, both of the sockeye and the repairs.

alexis said...

ah, multi-toileted again!