Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Credit Card Payback

Last week sometime, I called my credit card company to question a charge on my account. They could only tell me exactly what I could already see online: it was a charge from a company with whom I have not done business and it was for "periodicals or printing". Neither made any sense to me and the fact that it was a Wisconsin company made it even more odd. They couldn't give me a vendor phone number, physical address..nothing! WTH?? How can they not have that information readily available? So, finally, one of the people with whom I spoke said I could Google the name and maybe I'd find more information that way. It was a shot in the dark since the company name was "Ram", which seemed pretty general to me. Combined with the bit of data with them being from Wisconsin though gave me enough information to remember the charge and that it was valid: it was for jerseys for the softball team (I'm the team treasurer)  and the company I dealt with was Shirts and Logos, Inc. Weird.

The bank asked me to fill out a questionnaire based on my experience and I basically tore them a new one because I thought it was ridiculous that they couldn't give me any useful information about the charge. Yesterday I got an envelope from the bank, which I opened today. In it was a new credit card because they believed my information "had been compromised" and the new card was in the name of security.  Hmmmm, on the surface, they want me to think they are looking out for me. The reality?  I have to call/go to no fewer than eight companies for which I have automatic billing to change my account number. It seems to me that the person whom I ripped on the phone probably just pushed a button labeled "send new card" and thought we were even now.  Unfortunately, they actually came out ahead. Payback's a bitch.



















Last night kicked off our week of busy nights of entertainment with the Cubs/Tigers game. Tony Campana is one of the Cubs' lead-off hitters and is super fast. Going to the game is a little more fun watching him wheel around the bases and haul ass down the first base line. He's fun to watch!!  And yes, we're wearing Bears gear as it got a little chilly when the sun went down.

3 comments:

alexis said...

ah a shame! You vigilance was penalized.

terri said...

That kind of company name confusion seems so common these days. Mark and I often find ourselves trying to match a charge to a particular event or shopping excursion. Frustrating. And the fact that you're the one who now has to do extra work to accommodate for the new card? That's bad service from your bank. I'd be sure to let someone know that they screwed up TWICE!

Michael Podolny said...

Yup don't want to deal with those nasty ungrateful customers so teach em a lesson.

Considering your feelings on the cost of bottle of wine, I think you should be demanding a big break on those Cubs tickets considering they've already bombed out of this season.