Sunday, February 12, 2012

Saturday Guy Style

First and foremost, I found the baby in the King Cake!! While I wasn't treated as a king for the day, I'm sure I'll be on the hook for the King Cake next year. Damn.

When guys go shopping, we don't really go shopping like women. We go to buy something. Saturday was a perfect example. As I've written, the HD on our DirecTV is up and running as it should be and it's pretty sweet. As such, I decided it was time to upgrade our kitchen/pool room television from it's current 27" status to something bigger. Unfortunately, the way the room is situated, hanging it on the wall per se wasn't going to be a great option. The smaller TVwas on a platform that hung off the wall and could rotate a bit. The DVR box sat on top of it and both were strapped to the platform. This all just meant that I was going to have to get creative to get something to work.

A local appliance store, ABT, was having it's annual sale, so I figured that was the place to go and I'd like the prices I had seen in their flier. So LL and I decided to get up on Saturday morning, drive about 45 minutes or so to a bagel shop for a nice breakfast sandwich and then loop back down Milwaukee Avenue to ABT on the way back home. By noon we were home with our new 46" LCD TV.

With the thinness of the new TV, it wouldn't just stand up on the same platform as the old TV. Realizing this was going to be a problem,we bought a TV with a stand. The stand is sufficient to keep the TV on the platform as long as we tied it down with some picture hanging wire. The only thing that was going to be a problem was where to put the DVR receiver. Unfortunately we didn't realize this until we were on our way home. After some discussion though, we came up with a pretty good solution: strap it to the BOTTOM of the platform. Which resulted in this look:


The TV is easily viewable from the cooking area or the table where we eat and has worked out awesomely. We couldn't be happier!

And, it was purchased, delivered and installed in the same day. That's the way guys do it.




Also on Saturday, I had my first softball game of the year in the dome in the burbs. Unfortunately, the game wasn't until 10:00 at night, which really means it wasn't going to start until about 10:30. Ugh. Plus, with the much colder temperatures we've been experiencing the last few days, it was pretty damn cold in the dome. Still, we had fun, won by the slaughter rule and I was 3-3. A good start.

4 comments:

Bee said...

son, don't bother with tv or softball, listen to Adele, omg she has the purest strongest voice I have heard since...since...EVER...
Since you are King for a day, treat yourself!

terri said...

I second Bee's sentiments on Adele! :-)

Congrats on the win. I've been in those domes when it's cold. I'd say it's harder on the spectators than on the players!

alexis said...

I dunno, sounds like a lot of research went into buying the TV making it sound like the actual purchase was done quickly. If you added up all the time done preparing I wonder if it would be much faster than how women purportedly shop.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Actually Alexis, all I did was get the flier and decide I needed to buy one! Oddly enough t turns out I already had a similar model, but a few years older.