Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Heavy Lifting

I seem to be at a loss for a topic today. Weather remains the same. Already talked about the Super Bowl. Work has been fine and steady. So what should I talk about?

As good as anything, I guess, is my weight and workout regimen. One of my longer term goals is to bench my weight, not just once but to workout with it (so a minimum of 4 times). To help achieve that goal I'm running (to reduce my weight thus making the goal easier) and sticking to my lifting routine (every third day). Now clearly the bench press is simply one measure of strength, but I'm hoping it helps in softball and golf as well as just keeping myself healthy.

So anyway, before the Super Bowl party, I did my (relatively) new lifting routine and benched my max weight 8 times! Normally when I hit 8 reps, I move up the weight the next time. Doing so now will get me probably within 5-10 pounds of my weight, depending on how much I move up. Actually, the new weight is my goal weight, so hopefully that's where the two will meet.

When I lift, I don't just do one set of bench presses though. There's actually a warm up set and then another set and a higher weight before I get to the max weight. Then I do another set at a lower weight to finish off the workout. So moving up this time will probably include an increase in the second set of reps and the fourth set as well, so who knows how I'll end up physically at the end of the workout. We'll see tomorrow!

4 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

Wife is after me to do some kind of upper body strengthening but I have never been able to get into the weights routine.

alexis said...

strength is good!

terri said...

You seem to have a good plan in place. I never could get into lifting, but wanted to tone my arms. So I bought a Shake Weight! :-) I did! And it works!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Shake weight works?? Seriously? Wow. Would NOT have guessed that one.