Monday, February 06, 2012

The Rest of the Story

When preparing for my Super Bowl party, I sort of figure that since the game isn't until 5:30, I can pretty much cook what I need to cook during the day and if I prep some stuff the day before, I'll have even more time available day of game. So in my email invitation, I said people can come anytime after 1:00, which is what I said last year and no one showed up until 4ish anyway. This year though I invited Markakis (AKA Nick), who is 20 something. The morning went by quicker than expected as I had to go to the storage locker to get a cooler and table and then the office to get extra chairs. As 1:00 rolled around I had still not yet made it to the gym for my scheduled day of lifting. After telling LL that I was going anyway, she said "Fine, but if anyone shows up, I'm not letting them in!". She was just kidding, but it did get me to thinking. So around 1:30 as I'm walking into the gym, I email Markakis and tell him to come after 3 instead of his projected time of 2:30 just to be safe. He texts me back, "You're killing me! I'm on the bus!" Doh! So I tell him not to sweat it because it would be kind of funny if he did show up and LL would have to entertain him while drying her hair. Instead though he turned around and went home and I picked him up after my workout. Plus Bill the Bear was arriving early, which I did not know, as his fiance is not interested in football and didn't want to come this year.

So I picked them up, apologized and we had plenty of beer and played pool while LL and I finished preparing some of the food. Good times.

Future Headline:
NFL changes key rule after Super Bowl

The NFL will have to change a rule that allows a team that is winning the game to play with ANY number of men on the field and only get penalized 5 yards for it. The trailing team would get 5 yards and the down over, but what they don't get back is the time it took to run the play.

This happened in the Super Bowl as the Patriots had the ball with about 20 seconds left and about 60 yards to go for a score. The Giants had 12 men on the field and were penalized for it, but they successfully defended the play leaving the Patriots 55 yards away from a score but only about 12 seconds left. Even at our party I said I'd put 14 guys out there for the next play!! As long as you stop the play, time runs down they only get 5 yards. The game can't end on a defensive penalty so you have to play with 11 guys for the last play of the game, but it's a serious loophole that has to be closed before it impacts the outcome of a meaningful game.

2 comments:

Eric H. said...

"Even at our party I said I'd put 14 guys out there for the next play!!"

Buddy Ryan did that once.

alexis said...

what about the important stuff - how were the commercials?