Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras

ESDNM was in town from Monday afternoon until this morning and Tuesday night we went out to dinner (with LL) to The Gale Street Inn for dinner as he had a hankering for chicken. Interestingly, that's actually a difficult request to fulfill for me. When we have chicken, we usually prepare it at home. I don't remember the last time I ordered chicken out when it wasn't a sandwich for lunch. And ESDNM doesn't JUST want chicken. Nooooo. It's got to be chicken on the bone. A little bit tougher to think of places now huh?

Anyway, Ash Wednesday and Fat Tuesday both snuck up on me and it never really occurred to me that it might be a busy night at some restaurants. The Gale Street Inn was no exception. If the name sounds familiar, it should as we went there with Joisey Ken the last two years and the fellas and I went there before going drinking for our holiday night out. It's a solid place to go for ribs especially, but the chicken and steak are good as well. It's a very....ethnic type of place, but by ethnic I mean old school neighborhoody. It's one of those places that you KNOW some people have been going to for like 40 years or something (in fact I just looked up when it opened and it opened in 1963). Cops go there in massive numbers I'm sure. You know the kind of place if you're from Chicago.

So it was packed, but we got a seat after waiting for about 20 minutes or so.







Here's a close up of some of the mardi gras decorations. There scary dudes were everywhere!











My dinner seems sparse, a half rack and spinach, both delicious, but we had already had gumbo as well as catfish tacos from the special mardi gras menu. Good eating!!











LL had ribs as well, but here's ESDNM with his chicken. Doesn't he look happy? You'd think he'd at least look happier with his chicken.











While ESDNM was here, he opined on my pb&j sandwich that I was having for lunch. His comment "doesn't peanut butter have a lot of fat?", was met with incredulity. Noooo, high protein and if there is fat, it's the good fat. So that's partially true, there's no transfat and it's almost all non-saturated fat, but it still has 17 grams of fat per serving. That's 25% of your daily allowance if you're NOT trying to lose weight. Ugh. Even the low fat pb has 12 grams of fat. Way to go ESDNM. Ruin another thing I like. Now what the hell am I supposed to have for lunch??

2 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

I was happy. Just not externally showing I was happy.

Yes much better to let you delude yourself that you're eating healthy.

alexis said...

I would like to know the size of those ribs (maybe a head for comparison?) before judging if it's healthy or not :)