Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Softball and Wedding

Tough afternoon today as I drove almost two hours through rush hour to get to softball games which were then rained out. We were actually on the field warming up when the lighting detector went off. That means a 20 minute delay at least and by then the rain was on it's way. Oh well. It would have been nice to start the game at least and get a few swings in before the rain, but no such luck. Ugh. As a consolation, we went to one of our sponsors, Tommy Nevins Bar, and hung out there and had dinner. Not bad food but horrible service on this night at least.

This weekend we head down to Puerto Rico for a reconnaissance mission for the wedding. Though I've mentioned it before, I realize that not everyone knows the details about the wedding and specifically the guys on my softball team. While I invited some of them, those who I thought might actually be able to go and with whom I hang out for the Bears games and such, I didn't invite everyone since I didn't want them to feel obligated to send a gift just because I invited them. A little history, a mess of guys on my team are either sporadically or currently unemployed and/or don't have much excess cash laying around. The last thing I want to do is contribute to that situation.

But now, when I see these guys, whom I haven't seen in a month or more, and we talk about the wedding, it's a bit awkward. I think we're going to set out an invite to them all, via email, and just discuss the situation with the invite. So many things to think about with the wedding!!

2 comments:

terri said...

I don't think they'd be offended if they weren't invited. You have to draw the line somewhere with the invitations. My bowling partner of 2 years just got married and I wasn't invited and that was just fine with me! I only know him through bowling and don't know his family or other friends so I would have felt awkward going anyway.

alexis said...

I tried to comment on Weds but there were issues with Blogger. Basically - what Terri said. People understand, especially when we are older and wiser. If someone throws a tantrum chances are that was a no-win situation anyways since you probably don't want them at the wedding anyways and they aren't mature enough to realize weddings are expensive.

But - a note to explain stuff I think is appreciated.