Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What a crazy day

Today I headed over an hour north to Zion, IL to play some golf at the Cornerstone Angels golf outing. The group brings fledgling companies in contact with private equity folks in hopes of obtaining funding. The course is links style and is near. if not on top of another, landfill. There are few of these around Chicagoland and it's pretty good use of the space, except that they are always elevated (so more windy) and don't have much in the way of trees (so even more windy). Sometimes there was a 2 club difference between what I would normally use and what I had to use when hitting into the wind. By the same token, I almost drove a 317 yard par 4. It was a nice outing and good fun, but not as nice as my outing on Monday.

With golf two days this week and Friday being cut short because of my trip to Detroit, I've been trying to squeeze work in on Tuesday, Thursday and then in the car while driving to and from the outings.

This morning I got a late start because a potential new client called me JUST as I got into my car in my parking spot and I needed to take notes. Then I ran into a traffic jam that worked around by getting off the highway and getting back on a little further up the road. A call to Ricardo ensued as well as a call from a banker. Then two of my golfing buddies called saying the directions on Cornerstone Angels website were wrong. Then another client texted saying he couldn't make an interview I set up with an accountant....a meeting set for 2 hours from then. And all the while I was trying to talk to LL to see how her day was going.

When I finally got to the course, I was looking to relax and hit the driving range to loosen up from the long drive. No luck. Even though they are in the middle of nowhere, they don't have a driving range. ARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!! Practicing some putts and chips helped me chill enough to have a nice, enjoyable round. Golf is the answer to a lot of ills.

1 comment:

alexis said...

hrm... I can't verify this as I don't play. Cooking has a similar effect though.