Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Mauling Zone

As you recall, two weeks ago LL and I were in the Poconos (much better than saying east of Scranton) visiting my buddy Joisey Ken, his wife and daughter. The lake house at which we were staying is about 75-100 yards off the water. You just walk down through the yard and then down a gravel road to the beach. Not a far walk and it's nice to see the fauna along the way. It's not well lit though, so in the evening you could use a flashlight but it's not absolutely necessary.

Anyway, on the night before we left the lake house, we spent some time in the water riding the jet ski and just hanging out. As it started to get dark, we loaded the jet ski on its trailer and started for the truck to haul it back up to the shed. LL decided she wanted to walk back up though as she was feeling a bit dizzy from bobbing in the water with her life vest on and from riding the jet ski. No problem, but I was going to ride with Ken to help him. A few minutes later we were all up in the house, beer in hand.

A few days later, Ken took a video of a big black bear walking through the front yard of the lake house. After Ken told me, I told Laura who stared at me in disbelief. "You mean I walked alone through the mauling zone??". It appears that she did. Funny to write about, but there really COULD have been a bear out there!!

3 comments:

terri said...

I share LL's sentiments. Bears are scary.

alexis said...

I guess the silver lining is that there are still bears left!

el supremo de nm said...

HA! And all the grief I get about bears here and the closest you get to a real bear encounter is in NJ.