Thursday, August 19, 2010

Unexpected busy-ness

Today I knew was going to be a busy day, but I was up late last night after a 2 1/2 hour practice in the burbs where I had to fight construction traffic to get back. The morning came too early, but such is life.

After a shower and my Starbucks, I flipped on my computer which I turned off for the first time at night since coming home from Jersey. A new anti-spyware software started running. Odd. I didn't download any new software. Oh, and it found a threat. Hold on a minute. Cancel. I don't want this program running. Where did it come from? Let me get on the internet and see what's out there about it.

Can't get on the internet. "Do I want to run the anti-spyware program to determine the problem?" NO! CNTRL-ALT-DEL. I'll pull up the task manager to see what's running. "Access denied". Screw that. MSCONFIG. "Access denied". Unbelievable.

If you remember I had all sorts of trouble updating my IPhone to the new software. While doing so I disabled my firewalls and such to facilitate the process. Apparently I picked up this virus in the interim. Fortunately I have "a guy" around the corner from my house and I was headed to the burbs to meet with a client, so I dropped off the computer and by the time I got home, it was fixed.

The day's events made the evening charity wine/pizza party a much more welcome event than originally anticipated.

2 comments:

alexis said...

omg, good thing to have that guy around the corner! How totally annoying to get a virus but very good it was only a small, containable one.

terri said...

I hate those spyware viruses. I've had them before, and I DON'T have a guy around the corner. I have Norton Antivirus, and they charge extra for virus removal that can't be done automatically through the software.