Sunday, May 10, 2009

What a day!

No post on Friday, my bad. GF and I watched our Tivod shows from the week after a nice dinner. Unfortunately, I had to get to bed early because I was rising early. Really early. Insanely early. 5:30 in the a.m. That's nasty early. But I had a softball tournament in Rockford, so I had to leave by 6:15 to make batting practice at 8 for our game at 9.

The weather wasn't cooperating too well either as it was blustery in addition to being about 50 degrees. We ended up playing five games straight with no breaks. We won our first game, lost our second, won our third, beat the team that beat us in the second game and then lost 10-7 in the championship game. It was a small tournament, but a world series birth was on the line, so it hurt to lose.

Part of why we lost was that our starting (and pretty good pitcher) caught a line drive off his head in the first game and had to go to the hospital. Turns out his orbital bone was broken and he had a severe concussion. It was pretty scary to see. Our backup pitcher had a tough time throwing strikes and walked, on average, about 10 guys a game. That's really hard to overcome, especially when we were cold and tired . By the fifth game, I think the 5:30 wakeup call finally took it's toll on me as I went 0-3, while having hit really well the first four games at a clip of .722 and with some big two out hits and RBI.

The day wasn't over after softball though. Not by a longshot. I left Rockford around 3:30 or so, got home, showered and changed and headed to Comiskey Park for the Sox game. Ricardo had secured four tickets from a client just two rows behind the dugout. It was the second inning by the time I got there, so no autographs. Sorry Stef! Here are some pics though:

Bill the Bear, Mark and Ricardo. From our seats in this shot we can see Dye batting, Thome in the ondeck circle and AJ Pierzynski on the steps to the dugout. They were awesome seats and the Sox won the game 3-2 to add to the festive evening.

Done now? Nope, now it was back to Ricardo's house to watch the Blackhawks play! Another exciting game which the Hawks won 4-2 to take a 3 games to 2 lead in the series with the series moving back to Chicago for Monday night's game. The game started at 9:30, so I didn't get home until after 1, thoroughly exhausted.


stef said...

Goodness, what a sports-filled day! That's terrible about your pitcher. So frightening to think that things like that can happen to anyone. those look like AMAZING seats at the sox game. I bet you could see everything.

terri said...

Sounds like an action-packed day. Personally, I would have been falling asleep at the Sox Game. I'm a wimp.

el supremo de nm said...

I was exhausted just reading about the day

I think I would have found it impossible to through strikes if I saw my teammate get hit like that.

alexis said...

so jealous of your Sox seats!!