Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Say good night Gracie.

If the world came to an end last night, my last beer would have been a Newcastle. I think I'm going to start living my life with that kind of thought in mind: if I die in the next 5 minutes, what would my last "insert noun here" be? Of course, that's sadly unrealistic, but I might be able to do it with beer. At a baseball game though, it could be hard. Sure the chances of dieing at a baseball game are remote, but it's possible: stray foul balls, broken bats, it's a virtual battlefield.

Last night a severe thunderstorm ripped through Chicago, powerful enough to set off the air raid sirens. Of course I was happily plucking away in my guitar class (playing Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty ironically enough) oblivious to the torrential weather going on outside. Finally, we were evacuated to the basement and played some other song down there as a group.
After class, I arrived to a darkened home (and block for that matter). Since it was late and I was tired, I just checked for damage and water leakage around the house, found none and went to bed. In the 15 years that I've lived in the building, the power has never stayed off all night, though it has gone out several times. This morning I woke up to a crazy, pulsating buzzing sound. After determining that it was a further deterioration of my hearing due to Meniere's Disease, I sought the source of the noise. It seemed to be coming from near the bed, but nothing was "on" of course as the power was still out. Though my Boze Radio/Alarm Clock was without power, it did have a working battery back up, so while the time wasn't displayed, the alarm was still working! It wasn't the radio alarm that I'm used to, hence my confusion, but it did wake me up. Thank goodness....wouldn't want to be late for work when I have a great excuse.

5 comments:

Desiree said...

I was watching the Cubs game and saw the lightning, and saw Len and Bob jumping when a huge streak flashed across the sky and thunder erupt. It was surreal, watching it all happen via my laptop screen.

In four years of living in Wrigleyville, I've NEVER had a power outage for more than 10 minutes, despite other areas closeby suffering through for a day or more. I think I would've last night, if I had been around.

If I was to die with a beer in my hand, I want it to be a Goose Island 312.

alexis said...

I would vote for a Leffe I think, 8% Belgian ale.

stef said...

Too funny about the alarm. Isn't that always the way?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

312....mmmmmm. Had one yesterday outside of Wrigley.

Anonymous said...

So glad you didn't miss any work...thank you Boze Radio/alarm clock.