Thursday, September 24, 2009

Magic......just an illusion

Turn an egg into a dove. Pull a rabbit out of a hat. Turn a 5 hour drive into a 10 hour drive. No, not quite the same, but still quite a feat. Somehow I managed to pull off the later on my drive to Detroit on Wednesday.

Everything was going well in the morning: all packed, car ready, coffee in hand, already ate lunch, full tank of gas. Good to go. But I was a bit warm and I had athletic pants on, so I decided to stop at the already locked up condo and change into shorts. Ran inside, changed, brought the pants with me to the car and took off.

Normally I'll stop an hour or so into my trip (usually once away from the city) to get gas, go to the bathroom, get food, get something to drink, whatever. But this time I was all set and wanted to get to Detroit in time to hit some batting cages for some extra swings. During the trip I called Joisey Ken and Lovely Laura and all was good. Finally, because I was making great time, I decided to stop in Battle Creek Michigan and safely check email and such instead of doing it in the car.

At this point I was about 2 1/2 hours into the trip, about half way. There's a Starbucks just off the highway and I can get 2-3 hours of free internet there with a registered Starbucks card, so that's a fine place to stop. So I start to get out and quickly surmise that I can't find my wallet. When did I have it last? When I stopped at Starbucks before the trip just before changing into shorts. Well, it's probably in my athletic pants still. Pop the trunk, open the suitcase.....no wallet. Check the floor and side doors of the car....no wallet. It was still on my table in the condo, 2 1/2 hours behind me. Unbelievable.

A decision has to be made: drive 2 1/2 hours FORWARD towards Detroit and then 5 hours home without a license, credit card or AAA card, or drive back home and get the wallet. I opted for the latter. After 5 hours of driving though, I needed a break and it was now 7 o'clock, so I grabbed some dinner, LL came over and we watched two sitcoms. It was a one hour break that was much needed. Back on the road at 8 which put me into Detroit at 2:20 in the a.m. Ugh. We didn't have practice until 9 though and the game wasn't until 11:30, so I had plenty of time to wake-up.

After our loss though (did I forget to mention we lost 17-9?), we grabbed lunch, a few drinks and I showered and took a nice nap. We're back at it on Friday at 3:30 with another game Friday night if we win. Hopefully we can string a few wins together now and make a good run.

2 comments:

stef said...

Oh my. that sucks.

terri said...

Ugh... all that driving for nothing! I think I'd have done the same and gone back to get it though.