Sunday, September 13, 2009

Double-Stuff Sunday

Even though I made my Bear predictions earlier today, I wanted to make another entry for the weekend.

On Friday I had to head into the office to do some stuff there and finished up pretty quickly (Ricardo was at a client). On my way home, there's a trolley stalled in the middle of Halsted, just a block north of my office. The trolley stalled just south of Division, which, if you know the area, is right next to Cabrini Green (not a good neighborhood). After I pass the trolley, I see a bunch of people standing on the corner trying to hail cabs. They were all in business attire; khaki pants and mostly in blue, button down oxfords.

It didn't take much to figure out that these folks had been on the trolley as it's not a real "walking" neighborhood and there isn't much call for that many people to be dressed like that there.

So I pulled over and asked if they were on the trolley. "Yeah, it just broke down in the middle of the road."
"Where are you headed?", I asked.
"To the game."
"Well, I live up that way and can take four of you if you want."
After some hemming and hawing, four people jumped in to my Camry. The eldest guy sat up front and expressed their gratitude. As we drove along, we introduced ourselves and talked about our businesses. When they found I used to be the CFO at Morningstar, I was their best buddy. One of them worked for a financial printer, Bowne, and the other worked for a middle market private equity group.

When we got by Wrigley, they asked for my business card and invited me up to the rooftop which they were attending. I had errands to run (I was cooking dinner for LL, Ricardo and Ricardo's wife that night), but said I might stop by later.

After completing my errands, I decided, what the hell, and headed over to the rooftop building on Sheffield. One of the guys came down to meet me and introduced me to everyone as "this is the guy I told you about who rescued us!" I was almost royalty: free beer, free food and good converastion. Karma didn't screw me for once!!

4 comments:

alexis said...

yeah! good things happening to good people!

terri said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Not many people would offer such a kindness to complete strangers. You deserved such a great reward.

el supremo de nm said...

I'm equally impressed Terri - normally Joe would have just run them over!

stef said...

i think that's great that you were able to stop back by so they could show you their gratitude in person.