Sunday, September 20, 2009

How I love to be wrong

Da Bearrrrrssssss!! Yes, my Chicago Bears knocked off the Super Bowl Champion Steelers today, 17-14 in an awesome game to be at....probably top 5 for the new Soldier Field, all things considered.

3:15 start time for games is just great as it allows tailgaters to party for 4 hours before the game without getting up at the crack of dawn (the problem with noon starts) and party in the lots afterwards as well without getting home at midnight (the problem with 7:00 starts).

Today, LL and I hooked up with the guys who sit in front of us (Gar, D, Neil and Russel) and we drove in right behind each other so we could park next to each other for the tailgate. We put our tables out in a long row with our grills on either side, forming a nice box in which we could relax and eat and drink without being interrupted by people walking by. Good stuff.

The menu included: guacamole, bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon wrapped figs, grilled corn on the cob, some crazy Indian sandwich with meat that Russel brought (very tasty) and butterfly pork chop sandwiches. We were stuffed come game time.

Once inside the stadium, my buddy and his father (Lopes and dad Lopes) sat right next to us, out of the rain by the way, and we had a good ol'time hooping and hollering with every play. Granted, when Pittsburgh was geting 9 and 10 yards at a time on their first drive, we were pretty unhappy, but gradually we came around and cheered more than jeered.

Northwestern Jeff and his wife Beth had my seats across the way and enjoyed their trip to the stadium. Smitty was golfing earlier with Bill the Bear, so they got to the stadium just before the game and were hoping to tailgate afterwards. Unfortunately the wet weather put a damper on the post game tailgate, though I did fire up the grill during a dry spell. Good times!!

I had predicted an 0-2 start for the Bears and am ecstatic to be wrong!!

4 comments:

alexis said...

good lord, it's a wonder any of you got drunk with so much food in your bellies.

terri said...

Tailgating sounds like a lot of fun! I've never done it. Probably because I don't watch football. Maybe I should start...

stef said...

I really don't understand football. But i was at a friends to watch the win and caught on to the magnitude of it. Could mean lots of good things for the future!

el supremo de nm said...

Terri - you should just tailgate before your bowling league matches.

I was amazed at the Bears score which I caught just before we left LA.