Sunday, September 02, 2012

Short weekend

Well, my long softball weekend was cut dramatically short. We were playing in a 33 team regional tournament, though it was called a "national" tournament.  We played teams from Iowa and Minnesota and beat them both, but then lost to a team from the area whom we've beaten several times (they ended up taking 2nd place) and then to a different team from Minnesota by a score of 8-7 (Terri will be happy to know that I talked to the other team's third base coach about their state fair). So we went 2-2, a huge disappointment for us going into our Orlando tournament in two weeks. A small consolation was that I hit almost .700 and 4-5 in our two losses. Our first loss had a lot to do with a 6 hour (partial) rain delay between games due to the remnants of hurricane Isaac. We just came out flat after that break. Then we just didn't hit again on Sunday in our only game and trailed 8-5 going into the last at bat. We scored two and had a guy on when one of our better hitters absolutely ripped a ball that the third base managed to snag to end the game. Tough loss.

It was particularly bad because LL made the 90 minute trip out to Rockford for the game and was hoping to see more than just one.

On our wall in the kitchen is the calendar LL's mother made for us of wedding pictures. Here's the September grouping. It's one of my favorites!! Joisey Ken and his wife Dawn are in the first picture with good friends of LL. The two smaller pictures are clients of mine who are also good friends. Naperville Greg and Kleveland Kim are in the bottom left with Ricardo and wife Jodi in the lower right. Excellent! It lifted my spirits as soon as I walked by.




Here's the view I had at the Cubs game on Wednesday. They are my client's seats, the second client in the smaller picture up above, and  he offered them up last minute. Front row upper deck not far from the camera. Great seats, but we lost 3-1.

4 comments:

alexis said...

can't win them all! I love the calendar as well.

Michael Podolny said...

Very disappointing. At least now I know why you were working on Sunday...punishing yourself for the team's performance no doubt.

terri said...

Argh! Don't you just hate when you're anticipating a big, exciting tournament and it just sort of falls flat? Bummer.

Well, at least I'm happy that you talked to someone about the Great Minnesota State Fair! (We're tossing around a blogger get-together at next year's fair. You in?)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I like where you're heads at Terri! It will be a last minute call for me most likely, but I'm up for it for planning purposes. (might have another softball tournament)