Monday, September 17, 2012

Mish Mosh

This morning I heard on the radio that as of Friday, Apple's market cap (it's number of shares times the price of the shares) is higher than the GDP of Denmark, Finland and Hungary......combined. Wow. Things like this always surprise me. Like California, if it were a country, would have something like the 10th highest GDP in the world. I don't remember exactly where it is, but it's up there. Crazy.

Remember this future headline?  I hope you went long the Dow!

Yesterday was my sister (and sometimes blog poster) Bee's birthday. Happy Birthday again Bee!! The family got together at my folks' place to celebrate the way we do: eating a bunch of food. In addition to Bee's birthday, we celebrated LL being 13 weeks along now and talked about how my 13 year old niece has a boyfriend. Good for her!

I thought about this weekend's games a bit more over the last few days, though I wouldn't say I OBSESSED, I did at least dwell. Even though I was 3-5, I was really only happy with two swings and that's disappointing. Anytime you're playing at Disney, you need to get up there and really have good swings. Granted the pitching and defense on the other side are better than normal, but I feel I could have done better. Anyway, our team gave up 22 and 26 runs. That's a lot of runs. In the second game, we actually did give away some runs on defense and could have won that game, but still it's a lot of runs. So why?  Our pitcher has been hurt the last month with some sort of elbow injury (possibly tendinitis) and sometimes even runs with his arm completely extended and straight. So though he continued to go out there and try, the results seem to indicate to me that he couldn't move the ball around at all. We didn't give up 20+ runs to teams a level ABOVE us during the year and then we had two straight games that way? Not to mention the poor showing at nationals two weeks ago. Our backup pitcher did come into pitch in the second game and didn't give up too many runs (the runs he did give up were more of the unearned variety), so I tend to think I'm on to something. That said, we were actually leading both games 1-0 after 2 or 3 innings which would mean our pitcher would have had to just lose it after a certain number of pitches, which is certainly possible with a muscle/tendon issue.

1 comment:

alexis said...

I haven't done anything investing-wise in ages. :(

Need to get on that ball.