Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Of Tilapia and Orange Roughy

Reader Terri brought up a good question about my slipper issue: why not try them on in the store? Well, first, I figured since they are slippers, they would just fit. No rough edges or leather or arch supports to deal with: you just put them on and they fit! Apparently not so. Second, they were boxed up and for some reason that dissuaded me from trying them on. Third, they're slippers, a bedtime and early morning item so trying them on seems wrong (I don't try on boxers or undershirts before purchase.....you're welcome). But when I go back to the store tomorrow, I'm not leaving without a pair that fit!!!

Today I had a business lunch at The Arts Club, a posh, for members only restaurant at an art museum. Did Joe know any of this about the restaurant? No. Did the member tell him? No. What did Joe wear to said lunch? Hiking boots, jeans, a turtle neck and a sweater.....and I was carrying a 7-iron. Yeah, a 7-iron. Ok, ya see, this guy is a lawyer with whom I went golfing the last time I saw him and his club got mixed into my bag, so I was returning it. And while he's a lawyer and it was a business lunch, I was thinking two things 1) it's casual (after all, I have a 7 iron for God sake) and 2) it was cold out and I was taking the bus.

Anyway, it felt a little awkward when my lawyer "friend" said, "Oh, did they let you in like that?"
Well, I haven't actually gone into the dining room yet.
"Ok, well, worst case we can go across the street to Capitol Grill."
Nice. Maybe a little "heads up" about attire at the place would have been nice.

Lunch was very tasty and I deviated from the norm and had tilapia. Normally I'm not a big fan, mostly because the fish doesn't really taste like anything. This dish had the fish smothered in pesto and white grapes. Very tasty. So for dinner, instead of cooking catfish or scallops, I opted for some orange roughy. Yeah, yeah, I had fish for lunch so I should have made something else, but we had pork for dinner the night before and I wasn't in the mood for steak. It's been a while since I've made roughy, but it was pretty easy and tasty: brush with melted butter, cover in some form of crumb coating (Italian bread crumbs and herbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder) and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Good eating!!

3 comments:

alexis said...

LOL - oh no!! I guess there's nothing you can do in that situation except stride in with head held high, golf club slung with confidence over your shoulder to dissuade any commentors.

terri said...

I like the name "Reader Terri" - I may have to consider a change!

Not cool of your friend not to mention the dress code to you. Since fancy-formal lunches aren't the norm for most, he should have said something.

el supremo de nm said...

Well it wouldn't hurt you to dress up on your own once in a while. A 7 iron goes very well with a sports coat and turtle neck :)