Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mysteries of Minnesota

No post yesterday because I was a bit grumpy and just wanted to relax and watch the Hawks game with LL. Why was I grumpy? Well, in addition to some difficult work issues, I decided to start running again and get a jump on some weight loss. Instead of a "runners high" that I hear so much about, I went in the opposite direction and got pissy about every little thing. For example, while cooking dinner I dropped one piece of a cut up potato just before putting it in the oven and started cursing like a sailor. God bless LL for putting up with me until after dinner. Clearly I was just running a low blood-sugar level. After dinner I was my normal affable self. The Hawks lost.

So what's going on in Minnesota?? If you're not a Bears or football fan, you may not have heard about the collapse of the Metrodome. If you haven't seen it, there's great video of it on the web. My issue is, what Rhodes Scholar built this thing, in Minnesota mind you, and didn't anticipate snow falling on it? I don't care that there was a lot of snow; you build it ANTICIPATING a lot of snow!! And the back up plan for the Vikings to play the Bears is a brand new outdoor college facility. Only they're not sure they can get it ready to play because it wasn't designed to be played on in the winter. WHAT?? Who would approve such a thing?? Just because the college season ends at the end of November NOW, doesn't mean it won't run into mid December at some point. Very shortsighted. It makes me wonder what people are thinking up there....if they are thinking at all (no offense to reader Terri who clearly thinks quite often)!


4 comments:

terri said...

Oh, people don't think up here. It's too cold. Everyone has brain freeze. (Seriously, I have no idea what they were thinking when they built that thing!)

I rarely experienced the runner's high either. If you figure out how to achieve it, let me know. I might take up running again then!

alexis said...

my body is not built for running, so alas I can't help you with any of those secrets I'm afraid...

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

I've heard marathoner Bill Rodgers claim that the runners high is only felt if you're out of shape. So congratulations, you're in shape!

el supremo de nm said...

The best way to get a runner's high is upon stopping running to use some mind altering substance.