Monday, November 15, 2010

Joisey Ken in the house!

So after the big day with my niece on Thursday, Joisey Ken flew in for the weekend. Thanks to a good buddy of mine, we were able to go straight from the airport to a country club for a round of golf while the weather was good and before the sunset. Neither Ken nor I played well, but it was fun and who doesn't like playing at a country club? Plus we ate like kings....though we started with a McRib on the way back from the airport. Ha!

So Friday night we laid a bit low with some Thai food. Saturday morning was a cheese and chorizo omelet morning along with some maple sausage links. Yum. Then we decided to hit the golf course yet again! It rained most of the morning and was colder, but as we sat in the parking lot trying to decide whether to play or not, the rain stopped. Out we went and we got the whole round in again. Ken was on fire to start the round, but struggled on the last few holes. For the weekend, I think we basically tied.

After some tailgate shopping in the late afternoon, we headed up to a great steak and rib place called The Gail Street Inn. As you know, I've started cooking ribs this year, but they cannot compare with what Gail Street offers. Wow....just awesome. But the night was not over yet! When we got home, it was time to make some food for the tailgate in the morning. Fortunately I had already started the chili and put it on low while we went to dinner, so it was pretty well done by the time we got back. It was just before midnight when we finished up and got to sleep.

The morning came early and it was chilly out, but we were at Soldier Field bright and early (or at 9:00). Sausage Andy and a mutual friend of ours joined us at the tailgate along with blind Mender, E-Money (from softball) and two guys that E knows. It was a pretty great tailgate which included the introduction of sliced apples and a caramel dipping sauce......OMG were they awesome. Bacon wrapped shrimp and bacon wrapped dates appeared as usual and we served up the chili as well. Blind Mender brought this egg, cheese and sausage loaf which was awesome. I still need to get that recipe. Oh, and for breakfast I made breakfast sandwiches and maple sausages per usual. Good eating.

We also drank....a lot. Oh my. It was all good though. Ken's not used to the long day of boozing and had to take a nap after we got home and unloaded the car. There is little doubt now as to why I gain weight in the Fall. I don't even want to know how many calories I consume on a football weekend. Yowza.

Ken worked in cahoots with LL to buy me a Julius Peppers jersey on Saturday. He told me he needed to go to a store to get a hat and not for an instant did I think, "How the hell do you come to Chicago in mid-November without a hat?" Well, of course he had a hat, but he knew I wouldn't take him to the store to get me a jersey if he said that's why he wanted to go. Bastard! And LL was working with him on it. Taken down from the inside!!

This morning I took Ken out to the airport and went onto work from there, so it was sort of slap back into reality. A great weekend though!!! And where are the pictures?? Yeah, I didn't take a single one. Nice job. Sorry future me who is looking back and reading this entry!!

4 comments:

alexis said...

lol, sounds like a very boozy, foodie weekend! Just think of all that fall fat being protection against the winter cold that will come.

el supremo de nm said...

Yeah drinkin' like camel and pounding in the calories...AND I'M NOT THERE TO BLAME! Yahoo.

Joisey Ken said...

Another outstanding trip to the windy city!!

terri said...

All that food sounds incredible, but where do you put it all? Sounds like a great time!