Saturday, June 27, 2009

They always go in threes

For most of my life, I've heard one recurring theme: famous people die in threes. Odd, but then it happens often enough to reinforce that apparent truth. While I was in Detroit, we lost Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. So if you're and old famous person, you're good to go for some time.

Pictures from the latter part of the week are on their way. The trip went really well and Lovely Laura and I had a grand time. We were on the go most of the time though and didn't get to relax and chill as much as I would have liked. We arrived on Wednesday and then headed down to the stadium for the night game. Due to fireworks along the river, we avoided traffic by drinking at Hockey Town until after midnight. That was followed by a day game starting at 1:05. It was 93 degrees and boiling hot with no relief from the sun anywhere near our second row off the field seats. During the game I headed for the shade where the vendors were just to get a brake. Lovely Laura spent more time in the seats than I did!! Part of her incentive to stay was that she was learning how to keep score and didn't want to miss batters. I was just trying to stay conscious for my dinner with Hall of Famer Ernie Harwell and his wife.

Dinner was fantastic, more later, and then we hit the sack early, being exhausted from the games. Friday brought the Detroit zoo, a stop by the house I spent my early years (1-7), and then dinner with my babysitter from when I was a kid. We've kept in touch through the years and her daughter, Katie, lives in my hood an even posts on the my blog periodically. We had a great dinner with Katie's folks (right across the street from our hotel) and were able to hit the jacuzzi and swimming pool before bed. We were up and at'em and checked out by 8 a.m. this morning.

So I do have pictures and stories to tell and will start relaying them tomorrow!

No comments: