Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Disconnected

Last Fall, many people were amazed when I announced that I had purchased a new IPhone. The purchase was the result of losing my second cell phone, a pay as you go phone from Virgin Mobile. For several months, I didn't have a phone at all. Prior to my Virgin Mobile phone, I also went a long stretch without a cell phone. Even when I had one in my possession or on my person, it was usually off and I was generally not reachable.

I miss those days to some degree....I think.

Today I went to see the Cubs/Sox game with Morris Doug Jr., his girlfriend and her father. MD Jr.'s dad has four seats right by the visiting team's bullpen along the first baseline. Very good seats and we had a lot of fun. During the Bears season, they sit right next to me, which is how I know them.

About half-way to the stadium though, I realized I had forgotten my cell phone at home. Several ramifications popped into my head about this act. First was that Lovely Laura would not be able to reach me to plan coming over/going out AFTER the game (no, I don't have her number memorized....all I have to do is press "Laura" and the phone dials her). It also meant that any of the 30-50 people I emailed about the extra ticket I had who may have wanted to go out afterwards or were going to be at the game, also could not reach me. It also meant the guy I emailed about tickets to the Cubs/Tigers game next week would probably think I'm blowing him off. None of those things were good.

What it did mean was that I missed little of the game since I couldn't check messages, texts or emails. It also meant that I didn't have to worry about whether the phone was properly protected in my pocket or elsewhere. It meant I didn't have to worry about the ringer going off, though that isn't a huge issue at a stadium. And finally it meant that I was going to be unintentionally rude by checking messages and such.

Even so, I felt disconnected while I was at the game, like I was missing vital info. And I was indeed missing some information that I could have acted on and could have impacted the rest of my night. The longer I have my phone and the more I use it, the more important it becomes to me........sigh.

4 comments:

stef said...

That is the thing about these new mobile devices. If I am ever without it I feel lost! How will I know what time it is or what the weather is going to be? What if I need to find out how to get somewhere or tell someone where I am? it is crazy to think how none of this was an issue a year ago.

DogBrian said...

Wow, I'm not even in the top 50 anymore! ;-)I'm grateful that I have not fallen prey to the phone attachment. Half the time I still forget to turn it on.

el supremo de nm said...

I know the feeling. But when my phone lost its email capability when we were in Europe this winter, I suddenly found that the world did not come to a screeching halt because I didn't find out about things until later in the day or didn't get back to people immediately.

Plus I totally hate people constantly doing electronic messaging when they are with you. It is totally a statement that your time with them is not important or valued.

tim said...

When I went to Mexico a few months ago and my phone usage was limited...it was the greatest freedom ever..