Monday, July 27, 2009

Thank you. No, thank YOU!

Since mid last year, when I first found out this type of trading was allowed, I've been bitching about it not being reversed. Apparently my comments have been heard in D.C. In addition, I would love to see the uptick rule instituted as well. This well help weed out speculators who often work to the detriment of investors.

After my dinner with Ernie Harwell, I sent him a picture of the four of us which the host had taken. Several days later, I received a very nice thank you card from Ernie thanking us for the picture and for the nice dinner.

Around the same time, I received a thank you note from my childhood babysitter and her husband, whom we also took out to dinner while we were in Detroit. Very nice of them also.

So I refer back to my dating pre-requisites (or are they technically POST-requisites?) from an earlier post. Two sets of people whom I took out to dinner who both sent hand written thank you notes. All I was asking from dates in the past (as far as a thank you at least) was a call or an email, and people thought that was too much to ask. Bull crap.

5 comments:

alexis said...

so heartening to see some good stuff is getting through the lobbyists!

Eric H said...

I completely agree that naked shorting has to go.

I don't really care if they re-institute the uptick rules, as I think it will make absolutely no difference. The markets are so fractured now (many ECNs) that it would be trivial for anyone to manufacture an uptick if needed.

When I first started in this business, and stocks on the NYSE still traded in eights (12.5 cents), upticks were hard to come by. Now that stocks trade in pennies, they're very very easy to come by.

I also note that the people howling in protest that "removing the uptick rule in 2007 KILLED THE MARKETS" have been noticeably silent during this run from 667 to almost 1,000.

stef said...

I dunno, seems like the rules for dating etiquette should be different then those of acquaintances and old friends. After all, those people probably hope to see you again. Whereas a date that isn't interested in seeing you again, and expressed their thanks that evening probably doesn't want to give any "encouragement"

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks for the good background info Eric.

Stef, clearly a different situation if the woman DIDN'T want to see the guy again. I have no problem with it then. It's if she DOES want to see him and doesn't send some kind of thank you that bothers me.

el supremo de nm said...

Saying thank you is basic politeness that people should do. End of story.