Monday, August 27, 2012

Joisey Ken Visit

So many things to write about from this trip...there's no way I can fit it all in. Here are some pictures and a video (!) though just so I have SOME of the memories recorded.
This particular picture has special meaning, not only because LL is in it with me, but because it's the bagel sandwich place that Ken and I discovered on the way to his lake house back in '07 or '08. It's still there and has moved across the  parking lot to a bigger location. When we pulled up (it's only sort of on the way as we have to take a slight detour off the highway and then make our way back to the highway) there was a for sale sign in front of the building! Fortunately I missed that sign and saw this one, otherwise I may have had a slight heart attack. Their bagels are delicious and I get them with egg, cheese and Taylor ham. Just wonderful

Pretty much all we did all weekend was eat and drink around some golf and some boating. This meal was prepared by Dawn, Ken's fantastic wife,  and was chicken fajitas with corn salad. Very tasty. Don't mind the beer cosy on my beer...my choices were Yankees or Vikings.

Over the weekend I also cooked ribs and we had crepes for breakfast twice which I also served up. I was just trying to earn my keep!!

Look at how close this family of deer gets! They know the Joisey Ken family, with 3 1/2 year old Stella, means bread for munching. The doe leads the way and comes within a few feet of the stairs while the fawns lay back a little. Nature up close!


 Look at where the doe is! That's insane! Stella was very happy to "toss" bread to her. Stella doesn't have the greatest arm though and much of the bread only went a foot or two. Ken plays catch with her and says "Don't throw like momma!" which I find hysterical.


Dawn, LL and Stella out in the water of Lake Wallenpaupack. It was a pretty nice day for being out in the lake and doing some tubing.

On the way down to the lake the first morning, LL and I were stopped in our tracks by this sight! We had to walk right past where he was standing. Not gonna happen. There was a second buck to the left in the picture, but because of the sun position, I couldn't tell if he was in frame or not. Guess not!


Ahhhh, the great fire from the last night there on Saturday. Sigh......

Ok, this picture is fuzzy, but bear with me. We were making s'mores, but without the graham cracker. What you do is get the jumbo marshmallows, not the ones that say "jumbo" but the ones that are REALLY jumbo like 2-3 of the normal jumbo. Toast as normal but then slide off the exterior shell in one piece! Then you can add some chocolate pieces into the marshmallow shell and boy is it tasty. You can re-toast the marshmallow again, but the same trick is hard to replicate....at least without getting pretty messy!

And no trip to the lake house would be complete without fireworks. Turns out you can BUY fireworks in PA, but you have to sign something saying you are going to ANOTHER state to light them off. No shit, I'm not making this stuff up. How could I?  I'm not creative enough to make up something that stupid. It works in our favor though!  Thanks for a great, long weekend Ken and Dawn (and Stella!).



5 comments:

Bee said...

...that looked AWESOME! and i'm sure all the deer on the night of the fireworks were like...stupid humans, there they go again... very cool tho

Ken said...

Great fun with Uncle Joe and Aunt Laura :-) Stella actually cried when she found out they were leaving !

alexis said...

sounds and looks like an awesome weekend! Beautiful weather, lots of time outdoors, what's not to love?

Michael Podolny said...

Nice video dude. But the deer would be better as venison.

terri said...

Looks like a spectacular weekend! Good friends, good food, lots of fun! Also, you can't go wrong with marshmallows and chocolate.