Wednesday, April 04, 2012

What happened to my posts??

No,they weren't lost. They weren't created! Why though? Well, Monday LL and I went to dinner at our favorite sushi place around the corner and had a few glasses of wine since it's a byob. As you know, alcohol does not have a positive influence on my blogging.

Tuesday was LL's father's birthday, so we drove out to the burbs to celebrate with him at his restaurant of choice (Weber Grill). Good fun, but a hike back to town and a tiring day.

Speaking of LL, she has made it official and is changing jobs! She currently works for a healthcare consulting firm in the suburbs which can be anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes or more commute. Her new firm, the American College of Surgeons, is down on Michigan Avenue and is a quick bus ride from our home. So from a commuting standpoint, she'll come out way ahead. It seems her work will be more interesting as she'll be starting up an area for infants that is currently being done only for adults (that's about all I really know about it).

Changing jobs is a good thing for LL as her current manager is...let's say suspect. After a year's worth of feedback along the lines of "You're doing a great job" and "We couldn't hold this event without you" and "I love that I don't have to worry about your project getting done", her feedback in the review was "meets expectations", which at this company is really "below expectations". LL was VERY unhappy as she had been going in looking for more responsibility and a raise! It's management 101; there should be no surprises in an annual or more frequent review. So naturally I was pretty pissed off as I HATE to see bad management. Now I wasn't the best manager early on in my career (I was managing people at 25), but I worked on it and got much better by the time I left the conventional workforce.

Anyway, so changes are afoot. My pinched nerve is still a problem and I will be scheduling an MRI over the next week. It didn't stop me from running today, 3 miles in 32 minutes. Not bad, but a little more effort than it was a month ago. There's work to do!

3 comments:

terri said...

Good for LL! Sounds like she made the right decision for many reasons.

Michael Podolny said...

Very good news for LL - She really cares for her work and should be acknowledged as such.

Now we'll have to celebrate that as well when we have dinner with Alexis.

alexis said...

indeed that is great news! Will LL still have to travel as much in this role?