Friday, April 27, 2012

Cold April comes to a close

As April comes to a close, I look back on it and wonder....just what the hell was I thinking?  After the warmest March on record, April has turned out to be slightly colder than normal, which feels a lot worse. During this cold month, for some reason, I decided to attend four baseball games. I NEVER go to baseball games in April. I've missed opening day, or avoided it more appropriately, for several years, and have no desire to suffer the cold to experience the pomp and circumstance. Yet this year I went to four games and one of them wasn't even opening day!

As if that wasn't bad enough, I'll have played in three tournaments (really four, but one was just a Friday night tournament) and frozen my butt off in all of them. Tomorrow is the last of them and it's supposed to be a high of 45 and rainy. Great. Well, it is what it is and I won't even think about it while I'm down in the Dominican. Now some pictures!!




Here's a picture from my seats for the Cubs game. Very close and very nice, except when the cold wind blows out of the north, which is right down the left field foul line. Brrrrrr.











I thought this was fun to take a picture of now because the guy in the middle, Marlon Byrd, has already been traded and I thought it was funny to have the manager up there on a banner (Sveum).











Here's a picture from the tunnel as we're waiting to go onto the field last night at Comiskey, the park on the south side of town.










Here we go! Time to go on the field!












This is the infamous Sausage, aka Andy, pretending to make a catch at Comiskey Park last night when we got to go down onto the field.





Here's a shot of the field from behind home plate.






Here's a picture of my softball buddy Bob with his two kids and wife walking on the warning track.





Here I am next to the Jackie Robinson portrait on the right field wall. Yes, that's my winter coat. It was freezing again.




Here's blind Mender who came to the game with his dad.  The door to the bullpen was open and we were contemplating running in and stealing baseballs.





I'm beginning the master bath renovations! Step one, tear up the old tile.



Just a picture of what it looked like. Sort of the "before" picture. The goal is to get it done before June 1!!

3 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

How did I manage to luck out and have such nice weather when I was there in April? Must be divine intervention :)

Good luck on the remodel. Hope for one, he does it on time :)

terri said...

Every time I'm tempted to complain about the weather this spring (lots of rain and general dreariness here,) I remember the winter we had and remind myself I shouldn't complain. But I think the mild winter makes anything less than tropical feel like extreme weather.

alexis said...

it's been a decent spring here for once. Chicago springs are always nutters!