Thursday, April 05, 2012

Well THAT was disappointing.

Today was the Cubs home opener and my buddy, Blind Mender, who used to work at a radio station, was supposed to get me and several other guys free tickets to a rooftop to watch the game. Watching from a rooftop in April is infinitely better than going to the game itself because while you can still see the game, if you choose to remove yourself from the elements, you can! Plus you get free food and drinks as the tickets to rooftops are like $150 a piece or something crazy. Anyway, BM (which more appropriately stands for "Bowel Movement" here) came up empty on the tickets. The worst part to me is that he texted me three times in the morning and at no point did he write anything like "oh, BTW, I wasn't able to get us tickets." Crap!! So we spent the afternoon at a bar, Bernie's, which wasn't bad as I was able to catch with with a softball buddy who isn't playing with us this year, JC. We did meet up with Benny Baseball and some others who didn't believe BM and got their own tickets. It was a bit chilly, but it still would have been fun to get inside the stadium.

The Cubs blew the game in the 8th after their started went 7 2/3rds innings when Kerry Wood relieved and proceeded to walk three batters including the tying run. The next reliever gave up the lead with a double and a bloop single. The Cubs had a one out triple in the bottom of the ninth, but the next guy up swung at the first pitch and grounded a ball to the third basemen who threw it home to get the runner. A classic Cubs loss. I knew we were in trouble when a team that managed just 71 wins last year, only had two people starting this year that weren't on the team last year. Not good.

BTW, I'm not sure if I've mentioned that Benny Baseball is back among the boys, playing softball and going out and such. He went through a tough patch last fall, which I think I wrote about on more than one occasion. When we were in St. Louis for softball though he paid me money he owed me for Bears tickets from last year and fundraising efforts from the Super Bowl. Good stuff! He seems to be happy and going out with folks again, so I'm happy for him!

3 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

Is it too early to start the wait for next season?

terri said...

Blind Mender? Interesting nickname. Makes me think of that song, "No Rain."

Glad to hear that Benny Baseball is doing better.

alexis said...

I second the happy thoughts for BB! It's really touching you are looking out for a friend.