Saturday, March 21, 2020

Sheltering at home

So we're under a Shelter in Place order from the Governor, which doesn't mean too much different than what we've doing all week: we're working from home, schools and "non-essential" businesses are closed. Non-essential is being thrown around loosely though as Binny's (a liquor store) is still open, Home Depot is open, restaurants are cooking and delivering/providing pick up, grocery stores are open, Starbucks has drive thru open only, Dunkin Donuts is open, so not much has changed for us personally.

Actually, yesterday, I developed a little bit of a cough, but it seems to just be seasonal allergy related as I definitely have post nasal drip, which doesn't seem to be a symptom of Covid-19. And I'm not feeling bad except for my throat sometimes being a little sore from the drainage. Keeping an eye on things!!

An unfortunate side effect of staying home more than normal is snacking more than I should. Throw in some drainage, which usually causes me to eat or drink, and I could be packing on the weight, if I bothered to weigh myself at least. I'd love to say the gym closure is the reason, but I haven't been going regularly enough to justify that excuse. The hospital did cancel my "elective" surgery on my torn rotator cuff which was supposed to have been done in December. Ugh. Now I'll be lucky to have rehabbed at all by the end of golf season. Ugh!

A very irritating scandal in congress is four politicians who knew about Covid-19 and how bad it was in China, selling stocks ahead of public awareness. Richard Burr is the worst of the group as he downplayed the pandemic and while selling stocks. Kelly Loefller didn't talk up the pandemic like Burr, but she made 16 significant stock trades, 14 were sales and one was purchasing Citrix, the teleconferencing and high tech company. Diane Feinstein from California had a mess of sales as well, but her assets are in a blind trust, which means she doesn't have control over what is owned or not owned or when something is bought or sold (obviously). Jim Inhofe sold $400k and doesn't seem to have any similar excuse, though he wasn't in on the Covid briefings like Burr was. Who knows what he knew or not, but there should be an investigation into the lot of them!



No comments: