Thursday, November 15, 2012

Paperless society

Earlier this year my credit card expired and the bank diligently sent me a new one. That seemingly innocuous event caused much havoc as there are a bunch of automatic charges on my credit card that go through every month or periodically, like most people. Fortunately I keep pretty good records and making the changes wasn't too bad.

About a week ago though, I received a call from The Chicago Tribune asking for the new card number to renew my subscription. The guy on the phone was somewhat suspicious sounding though, so I said just mail me an invoice and I'll re-up through there. It was completely fine and I was just being overly cautious as I got the invoice the other day. The cost? $180 for 6 months for seven day a week delivery. That's $360 a year and almost a buck a day! Do I get $1 a day of enjoyment out of the newspaper? I really don't. Maybe I read the sports page and check out the front page, but that's about it (I do save the comics and puzzles for later).

So the decision was made to stop delivery! No more newspaper. LL and I used to do one of the puzzles and read the comics while laying in bed, but now we watch TV in bed (and are much happier since LL can fall asleep). I will miss the comics and puzzles, especially when taking airplane trips since I use them during take off and landing. I'll get over it though. It also means no more paper to recycle, which means more space in the pantry. We'll see how it goes. Subscribing online is an option and cheaper.......maybe I'll go that route eventually.

2 comments:

alexis said...

oh sad - the demise of the newspaper! :(

Not that I can speak. I don't have a newspaper either.

terri said...

I enjoy reading an actual paper, but like you, didn't really get through it all daily. So we switched our subscription so that we only received a paper Thursday through Sunday. But then our delivery was so poor - wet papers, missing papers, papers in the street - that we finally just cancelled altogether.