Friday, October 22, 2021

Harry Potter and the Mirror of Erised

A beloved series of books in our family, like many, is the Harry Potter series. The kids have Harry Potter Legos, costumes, action figures, wands, etc., a seemingly endless number of things. The books are some of the few that I have really enjoyed reading in my adult life (I'm more of a "I'll wait for the movie" kind of guy). So as we near Halloween, it doesn't seem too surprising that the kids were attending a Harry Potter themed event where they were making potions, casting spells, going through the sorting hat process, picking a wand and playing Quidditch. One other thing they were able to do is stand in front of the Mirror of Erised (Desire spelled backwards). 

Now, if you're a Potter fan I'm sure you remember that the mirror would show what you desired most. For Harry, it reflected himself with his parents on either side of him. It's an understandably sad part of the book and movie. 


When the kids came home from the event, I was upstairs in bed watching one of several sports events on television. Marissa made her way upstairs first (after they both had McDonald's because even though they had dinner before they left, they "were starving"). She crawled on top of the bed to give me the requested hug and told me all about the event. 

Then she said, "And when we went in front of the mirror, do you know what I most desired?" 

No, what?

"Grandpa. Everybody misses him." 

It kills me sometimes how much I love these kids. And I miss you too Pops. ♥




No comments: