Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Starting the memory posts of my great dad




Where do I want to go now with this entry and future entries? How about memories of dad? Sounds good. I could take a whole bunch of time and try to create some order and flow, but I'd rather just put these out periodically, for my own edification. 
  
Let me start with a memory that was brought up by one of the neighborhood kids (2 years older than me) at the funeral. After I read what I wrote down, breaking down repeatedly, my buddy asked if it was okay for him to say something (let’s call him DK). I nodded yes and he went to the podium. He started reminiscing about how my dad would come home from work and be the “all time quarterback” while throwing footballs to DK and me. DK said he was always a bit jealous of me because my dad was able to do these kinds of things while his father was working. Plus he had six brothers and sisters, so attention was in short supply. DK understood that his dad had to work, so that was fine, but he realized later in life that he would make sure that HE was the kind of dad who be the out there throwing the football around with the neighborhood kids. I honestly had no idea how important my dad was in his life. But we all have people like that in our lives that we have impacted and the more outgoing, giving and open you are as person, the more people you impact. I’m sure my dad impacted many more people in many more ways than I’m aware.

In baseball, for instance, he was able to bond with some of the kids who were “on the fringe” of attitudes let’s say. These players would use chewing tobacco during games for instance and their life outside of baseball was similar. But my dad was similar as a kid, so I’ve heard, and that allowed him to communicate very well with them. So if other coaches didn’t want to deal with them, my dad would take them. It didn’t happen often, but he was always open to it.

And I remember my dad around the baseball field all the time when I was a kid. In fact, in high school, when he wasn’t there, I sort of felt like I was missing a layer….a blanket of security. He was often the manager, but sometimes a coach, and always involved. We talked baseball quite a lot, something that would continue for the next 40 years.

Even when I wasn’t playing, we were around the baseball field together umpiring. I know umpiring together was one of my dad’s favorite things to do and I totally get that now as a father. While I remember us doing a lot of games together, of course the only specific games I remember is when there was some kind of controversy. Two games actually come to mind: one where I was behind the plate and the other when I was in the field. The game I was behind the plate umpiring a Mexican League game in Aurora, the pitcher for one team was throwing a late breaking curveball. Maybe unfortunately for him, I saw it as breaking TOO late and not catching the plate. Apparently from everywhere else on the field (and off) they looked like strikes, but not to me. What could I do? If I think it’s a ball, then I have to call it a ball. It’s possible though that I didn’t have enough experience with a good curve ball from behind the plate. So that wasn’t a fun day as one team was super pissed at me. The other game is a little less clear in my memory as it was an odd play that involved multiple runners on base. My position was behind the pitcher so I could see a play at first (straight on) or second. My dad was behind the plate and in some circumstances would rotate to make a call at third. Well that happened and there was a play at first where the throw beat the batter, but the team at bat thought the first baseman pulled his foot. Unfortunately, since my dad was covering third, we didn’t have a clear view of his foot coming off the base like you would from down the foul line. One team was chirping at us all the way into the parking lot.

Now mind you, those were two games out of probably a hundred or more that we worked, so the fact that I remember ANYTHING about them is somewhat remarkable, but also means that for the majority of games we had no issues.

No comments: